Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Between Two Worlds

When I go home, the house is always noisy
When I go home, I cook chicken soup and apple crisp
When I go home, I take my little sister in a wheelchair for a walk
When I go home, I help my brothers with their math homework
When I go home, my 12 siblings ask me why I have to leave
When I go home, I read a bed-time story to my little sisters
When I go home, my mom tells me the family has run out of money again
When I go home, my mom asks me when I am going to get married
When I go home, my siblings ask what it is like to live in the city
When I go home, I feel, well, at home

When I go to church, I greet my friends
When I go to church, I pray and sing with my family
When I go to church, I spend time with God
When I go to church, I hear a sermon about women staying home
When I go to church, I hold my friend’s baby and wish that I was married
Now when I go to church, I feel just a little out of place

When I go to class, I get to study with my classmates and friends
When I go to class, I get to learn fascinating things about humanity
When I go to class, I learn more about the human body
When I go to class, I realize how behind I am and worry that I will fail
When I go to class, I think everyone is smarter than me
When I go to class, my friends invite me to a bar, but I don't drink
When I go to class, the girls talk about what kind of birth control they are using
When I go to class, the other students tell stories about their parents who are physicians
When I go to class, the other students talk about how much money their parents can give them
When I go to class, I feel a little out of place

When I see a patient, I love to hear her story
When I see a patient, I realize her story is not so different from mine
When I see a patient, she tells me about how her family is poor
When I see a patient, she tells me how she worries about her family
When I see a patient, she explains how much her church means to her
When I see a patient, I think that I just might be able to make a difference in someone’s life
When I see a patient, it reminds me why I struggle to balance these different worlds
When I see a patient, I don’t feel so out of place

3 comments:

Abel Gage said...

Christine,

I just wanted to say that I am usually wary of amateur poetry, (I can't even stand a lot of professional poetry) so I was pleasantly surprised to find that I really like this poem. You should write more as inspiration and inclination allow.

Christy said...

Hi Abel,

Thanks for the comment. I still don't have much confidence in myself as a very, very amateur poet, but I appreciate your praise none the less. I have been overwhelmed with positive responses to this poem. Thank you all very much for your support and comments.

Unknown said...

I love your poem, Christy! Because of your experiences at home and in Africa, you will be better prepared to be a doctor to the poor, disabled, and struggling people of the world.
Love,
Mom