Friday, June 15, 2007

I got to sleep in a mud hut! I got to sleep in a mud hut! I got to sleep in a mud hut!

I got to sleep in a mud hut! I got to sleep in a mud hut! I got to sleep in a mud hut! In case you couldn't tell, I was slightly excited byt the fact that I actually got to sleep in a real mud hut with a grass roof in the middle of an Ugandan IDP camp.

Here are more pictures of Potika camp A than you probably wanted to see:

I will say it once again: "Africa is Beautiful!" I took this picture one afternoon when I had nothing else to do. It looked like this almost every day. This is the southern side of Potika Camp A. If you continue down the road the children are running on you will reach Potika Camp B (a little over a mile away).



I just realized this is almost the same picture as the one above, but I am too lazy to take this one off and up load another. The fenced huts were for MSF (Doctors Without Borders) staff, but MSF has left, so now the huts are empty.


The moon over the Potika IDP camp A. This was our view every night.


The sunset over the pit latrines and bathing shelters. The pit latrines were horrible, but this picture is nice.


I called this hut the "fixer upper hut." I remember when my mom first showed me the house our family now owns in WA state. It was a terrible mess. It had a broken window, a skylight that leaked, random wires sticking out of the walls, a hole next to the bathroom sink, a rotting green house, a pot with 2 year old oat meal sitting on the stove, several different colors of paint on the outside of the house, and a yard filled with old cars and 5 foot high weeds. (They told us that everyone else who looked at the house was considering just knocking the house down and building again on the same property). My mom said, "Isn't it beautiful! This is my dream house! It is so perfect. It is cloudy and raining today so you can't see the view, but it has a really nice view." I thought to myself, "This is the worst fixer upper dump I have ever seen in my whole life." Well, now I can't say that anymore. The above picture shows my new standard for the worst fixer dumb I have seen in my whole life. Sorry mom, I was wrong it was possible to do worse.

This was our hut! It was really nice. It was big and had a floor with newly applied black dirt. (For some reason the black dirt is considered 'cleaner' than the normal red/brown dirt).



This is me (and some children) welcoming you to our hut.

This is what the roof of our hut looked like from the inside. Only the big huts have the central beam/log that helps support the roof.


This is what I liked to call the "cool hut" because it has the painted triangles. I tried to convince Alex and Logan that we should paint our hut the same way, but the didn't seem to be that excited about the idea.


This was one of our neighboring huts. I really liked the door made out of flattened USA cooking oil cans given to the camp inhabitants by the World Food Programme.

No comments: